Types of Information We May Collect
Information you provide directly to us
You do not have to identify yourself to use the Site. We may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register for certain services, access various content or features, or contact us directly:
- Contact information, such as email address, name, postal address, phone number, fax number, and mobile number
- Applicant information, such as information about education, relevant experience, and/or information concerning products, services, educational programs, or employment position about which application pertains
- User name and password
- Demographic information, such as age, gender, and zip code
- Employment information
- Information posted in comments and other interactive online features
- In limited circumstances, payment information, such as credit card number, where needed to complete a donation, requested service, or transaction
- Correspondence you send to us
Information we collect automatically
We may collect certain information automatically when you visit the Site, including:
- Your browser type and operating system
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet
- Websites you visited before and after visiting the Site
- Web pages you view and links you click on within the Site
- Standard server log information
How We Use the Information We Collect
We only use payment information to complete a particular transaction, fulfill a service, or as otherwise required by law.
We generally use other information we collect about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you news and information about EWH; fulfill requests for publications or products; and enable you to apply for EWH educational programs, services, competitions, and positions.
- Enable you to participate in features on the Site, such as comments
- Analyze the use of the Site and information about visitors to the Site to understand and improve our Site and service offerings
- Systems administration and troubleshooting
- Customize the content you see when you visit the Site
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent
Whether We Disclose the Information We Collect
We are committed to maintaining your trust, and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share information collected about you.
We disclose credit card information only to trusted third-party so that they may complete a particular transaction, fulfill a service, or as otherwise required by law. We require such third-party associates to use commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures, including but not limited to the use of encryption such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol to help protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of for credit card information.
We may disclose other information we collect in the following circumstances:
- Information posted in public forums. By posting comments on the Site, your comments. Please remember that any information you disclose in public forums becomes public information. We cannot prevent such information from being used by third parties in a manner that may violate the law or your personal privacy or safety.
- Third-party associates. We share your information with third-party associates who help us with specialized services, such as customer support, email message deployment, analytics, marketing, and data processing. These third parties are allowed to use your information to help us provide our services and not for any other purposes. We also may share statistical information about our users with third-party associates.
- Partners. We may share with key donors certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular article. Such information does not identify you individually.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of the Site, a merger or consolidation, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal requirements. We may disclose information about our users to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations. This information is not made publicly available by the government agencies with whom EWH files its reports.]
- Otherwise with your consent
How To Exercise Choice
You may choose to enjoy certain content and features on the Site without directly providing us with your information. If you do not want to receive promotional e-mails from EWH or our third-party associates, you will be able to express this preference by contacting us at [ firstname.lastname@example.org]. We will take reasonable steps to remove your name from our marketing lists when we receive your request. However, you will need to contact any third-party associates who send you promotional information directly in order to opt-out of the messages they send.
How To Access and Correct Your Information
If at any time you wish to access or correct your information, you can do so by contacting us at [ email@example.com]. If you ask us to shut down your account or delete your information, we will do so within a reasonable period of time. Please note that we may need to retain some information about you in order to satisfy our legal and security obligations. For example, some of your information may remain in back-up storage even if you ask us to delete it.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. The Site is not intended to solicit personal information of any kind from children under 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a user under the age of 13 as part of the Site, we will promptly delete such information from our records.
We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. In general, access to user data is limited only to those persons and organizations necessary to its proper functioning. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site, but we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Transfers of Data Outside of the Country of Origin
As we have operations in the United States, please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Site may be transferred to and processed in the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By accessing and using the Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
The Site may provide links to third-party websites. We do not share your personal information with those Web sites and is not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy policies of those companies.