Engineering World Health invites universities, or their engineering departments, to pay an annual fee to support an EWH chapter. In exchange EWH will provide a comprehensive package of financial benefits together worth more than the affiliation fee. We also provide guidance on how to operate a chapter and manage numerous activities that are interesting, fun and of benefit to the community. And EWH provides technical support throughout the year.
Cost and renewal date
The cost of a University-Funded EWH Chapter is $600, renewable on September 30 each year. Payments made after April 1 for the creation of a new chapter are good until September 30 of the following year.
University-Funded EWH Chapters enjoy the following benefits worth a potential $1,150:
- Ten EWH Student Affiliates. Students must complete the registration forms and send these to EWH. Additional students can join at $35 each.
- One Professional Affiliation for a named faculty advisor. Other faculty can join at $125 each.
- T-shirts for faculty adviser and team, limited to 11 T-shirts in any one year (October 1 through September 30)
- A discount of $200 from the entry fee to participate in the EWH Design Competition. This is an exciting competition to design medical technologies that meet developing world challenges. Only EWH chapters are eligible to participate.
- Travel funding for three EWH-Affiliated chapter members to present at the EWH Annual Conference or another conference on behalf of EWH or the chapter. Up to three individuals can receive this funding in the given academic year to reimburse travel expenses incurred. Funding can be up to $125 per year for any individual, for a possible maximum of $375.
- A $100 discount for a department or chapter booth at the EWH Annual Conference.
- Eligibility to have EWH staff and technical advisors act as clients for senior design teams selecting projects from the "Projects that Matter" list available through the EWH website.
- Access to additional technical details for the Projects that Matter (where available), such as suggested specifications, a preliminary literature search and previous attempted designs, design tools and other technical content.
- A reduced purchase price for EWH Kits
- Introduction of the chapter to charities that manage donated medical equipment destined for developing countries to enable chapter members to carry out repairs, etc.
- Recognition of the chapter/university on the EWH website
- Chapter members who are EWH Affiliates are also eligible for the following benefits:
- Consideration for the EWH Summer Institutes
- Consideration for Summer Institute financial aid
- Consideration for travel awards to participate in joint activities with other chapters, either domestically or in developing countries (e.g. Spring Break service trips).