The 2017 EWH Design Competition invites students to submit innovative designs for medical technology that can make a difference in low-resource settings.
In August of 2009, EWH launched a unique annual Design Competition to encourage the development of technical solutions that contribute to improved health care in developing countries. Design Teams can choose to work on any project relevant to the medical instrumentation needs of resource-poor areas. Useful suggestions can be found in the Projects That Matter list, which includes needs identified by EWH staff working in international hospitals. EWH accepts submissions for the competition in the spring of each academic year.
- To be eligible to enter the competition, each Design Team must have at least one participant who is a member of an EWH Chapter. Design Teams may include members from diverse academic backgrounds – both undergraduate and graduate students.
- All teams must have an adviser who is either a faculty member from an engineering department or a practicing engineer.
EWH is able to award cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams at the annual BMES conference. Winning Design Team members are invited to receive checks made payable to their sponsoring EWH Chapter at the BMES conference; however, EWH does not pay students' travel or conference expenses. For teams that do not attend the conference, checks will be mailed to the EWH Chapter.
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Place: $750
3rd Place: $250
How to Apply
- For the discount price and proposal feedback, send the Registration Form and the Proposal to email@example.com by February 14.
- Pay the registration fee: www.ewh.org/paychapterfees
- We've updated the Registration Form with this request: Blind submissions – To ensure impartial judging, submissions should not mention the specific university or individuals involved in the project except on the cover page. Please do not use logos, headers or footers that identify your school, except on the cover page. Any references to those involved with the project should say “the university, our university, the team, our adviser, the foundation, or our funders,” rather than using names that identify those involved with the project.
|Proposal submission to receive EWH feedback and discount registration price (optional) - Deadline Feb. 14||$200||$20|
|Project submission; full registration price - Deadline May 30||$300||$60|
- Final design project Submission -- due May 30.
Click here to download the Judging Criteria for design submissions.
Winning teams will receive notification by email. Results are posted on the EWH website by July 30.